Partner Provisional Visa 820
820 Visa Australia
This Visa allows you to enter or remain in Australia on the basis of your married or de facto relationship with your partner.
Are You Eligible For A Partner Visa? Take This Test To Find Out
There are pre-requirements that should be met before you can apply for an Australian partner Visa. Assess your eligibility by taking a short quiz below.
Partner Provisional Visa Australia
This Visa allows you to enter or remain in Australia on the basis of your married or de facto relationship with your partner:
- on a temporary Visa (usually for a waiting period of approximately two years from the date you applied for the Visa)
- on a permanent Visa if, after the waiting period (if applicable), your partner relationship still exists and you are still eligible for this Visa
Your partner must provide sponsorship for you.
This Visa is for you if you want to enter Australia on the basis of your relationship with your partner. Your partner must be one of the following:
- an Australian citizen
- an Australian permanent resident
- an eligible New Zealand citizen
Note: As the partner or fiance of an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen, you do not have an automatic right of permanent residence in Australia. If you want to reside permanently in Australia you must first apply for a permanent Visa and be assessed against the legal criteria for the grant of that Visa.
Partner temporary Visa
- remain in Australia with your partner, until a decision is made regarding your permanent Visa
- work in Australia
- study in Australia, but you will not have access to government funding for tertiary study and will be charged international upfront full fees
- enrol in Australia’s medical benefits expenses and hospital care scheme, Medicare
Applying For Temporary And Permanent Visas
You apply for both a temporary Visa and a permanent Visa by completing and lodging one application.
- If you meet all the legal criteria for the grant of the Visa, you may be granted a temporary Partner Visa (subclass 820). This Visa remains valid until a decision is made on your permanent Visa, which is usually two years after you initially applied for your Visa.
- If you still meet all legal requirements when your application is considered after the waiting period, you may be granted a permanent Partner Visa (subclass 801).
However, you may be granted a permanent Visa without having to wait if you can demonstrate one of the following:
- at the time you apply for the Visa, you have been in a married or de facto relationship with your partner for three years or more
- at the time you apply, you have been in a married or de facto relationship with your partner for two years or more, and there is a dependent child of your relationship
- your partner was granted a Protection Visa or a permanent Visa under the humanitarian program and you were in the relationship before the Visa was granted and this had been declared to the department at the time
Visa Validity Period
If you are granted a temporary Partner Visa, it is normally valid throughout the waiting period until a decision is made on your permanent Partner Visa application.
If you are granted a permanent Partner Visa, it will allow you to remain in Australia permanently.
Applying For Temporary And Permanent Visas
Information To Help Prepare Your Application
Including Dependent Family Members In Your Application
How To Lodge Your Application
Married Applicant Eligibility
De Facto Applicant Eligibility
Conditions And Obligations For Holders Of Visa Subclass 103
Australian Values Statement
Need Clear & Professional Guidance From A Registered Migration Agent?
The Ultimate Partner Visa Guide
We talk to thousands of people every year looking for visas. Some people just want someone to do it for them, others want to understand how the whole process goes. We always advise that you should get professional assistance with a visa application to maximise your probability of success. We have however put together this step by step guide that tells you everything you need to know about the partner visa application process.
It’s free to download and we hope that it provides you with what you need to succeed. If you need any assistance with the application, we offer a consultation and can complete the application on your behalf.